The covid-19 pandemic created a lot of challenges in the education system. School and coaching closure due to pandemic have brought significant disruption to education across India. As a result the education system has changed dramatically with the distinctive rise of online or e- learning in order to sustain. But this situation gives rise to a debate, Which platform is better offline or online, for competitive examinations like IIT( MAINS ADV.) / NEET.
With the advancement of technology, in the current scenario most of us would consider online platforms over offline. But the classroom environment has always been confirmed to be vital for conceptual learning, encouraging students, exchanging queries and teacher-students face to face interaction.
Both offline and online learning platforms have their own benefits and shortcomings. The Institutes nowadays must include both forms of learning which indeed creates a compelling learning system as new technologies are easily accessible to students, this can help them in better understanding of concepts and empower their learning. But in my personal view, I would opt for offline mode of learning over online because of some reasons mentioned below:
- Classroom teaching is important to encourage and motivate conducive learning which enables students to learn conceptually and effectively. This transforms them into keen learners.
- Offline teaching provides opportunities to students to have personal interaction with teachers and other peers and both teacher and students are involved in the learning process.
- There are limited students in each classroom which ensures one on one personal mentoring.
- Offline teaching is an active learning method in which a teacher can pass on the passion and enthusiasm of the subject to the students.
- Offline teaching offers the teacher to understand the body language of students as if the students are students or not. They can easily judge the performance of each student during the class and diagnose the problematic areas and help students for better understanding.
- Offline classes enable students to spend quality time in discussion, cross – questioning in groups and clearing concepts which improve their performance and critical thinking.
- Most of the online platforms provide pre- recorded video lectures which lack in doubt clearing learning.
- Classroom is a place where students interact and exchange their queries, ideas which enhance their self preparation by reflecting on how others are learning and empower them to learn more efficiently.
- Constant interaction of teacher- students. Students- students in offline class results in high levels of concentration which lacks in online learning due to various distractions which leads to lack of self discipline.
- Classrooms help to broaden students’ understanding of what is being taught in class and can have reference on different perspectives on the topic discussed while online classes are not fit for every topic.
- Online classes are mostly based on theory lectures and lack in practice based learning which in offline classes students get enough prati questions and doubt sessions.
- Offline classes are free from any kind of communication gaps which arise due to slow internet connection or lack of smartphones.
Thus, I would like to conclude that offline classes coupled with online Lecturing I’d the best choice.